Friday, October 1, 2021

01/10/2021

Finally managed to get to the Park this evening. A nice evening with a mega highlight as I was leaving. Lots of areas have been significantly cut back (noted on my visit last week), which was at first quite alarming, but it's encouraged some different bird activity/behaviour. In those areas, high numbers of corvidae and columbidae gather and feed from the ground, which makes them easier to count. 

Nothing further on the Hobby, so I think I can safely say that has now left. They're still being reported locally at other sites though. 

Highlights:

  • 1 x GSW
  • 1 x Green Woodpecker (seen only - and only just about!)
  • 1 x Jay
  • 2 x Robin
  • 1 x Buzzard (see below)
The Buzzard was a real highlight tonight. As I was heading back, thinking to myself that it had been a very quiet night for birds of prey, I noticed a huge wingspan low to the ground about 7 metres in front of me. I followed it with my eyes to a branch where it perched. 

I watched it for about 10 minutes and then it flew off into an orange-y sunset. On its way, it had disturbed a group of mixed birds, which erupted out of the tree they were in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

29/01/2022

It's been a while since I've been able to get to Nonsuch, but today was my first visit of the new year, and it did not disappoint! I...