Sunday, October 17, 2021

17/10/2021

Inspired by the local sighting of the Penduline Tit at Beddington SF, I decided to put a proper shift in today, in particular, I wanted to scan any tit flocks to see if they had brought any unusual visitors. 

It was generally a quiet day for bird activity, and a busy day at the park people wise, so I wasn't having much luck despite trying.

I noted all the usual visitors: Parakeets, Carrion Crows, Goldfinches, Magpies, although didn't note any Jackdaws today, which was slightly odd.

I had a Grey Heron fly over twice, and had the usual gulls passing through, but, while working my way back out of the Park, I had my first bit of hope.

I was working my way back slowly along Tree Line 3, keeping my eyes and ears out, and was able to hear the classic teetering/trill of the Long-Tailed Tit. I stopped to count how many - I made it 5 - and spotted something else. Flitting about in the spindly trees was my first Goldcrest for Nonsuch! It was just one on its own, and, admittedly, I'd tuned out of its sound because I haven't seen/heard one for a very long time (but it does also blend quite well with LTT). I was delighted with this patch tick, as I've wanted to get a Goldcrest for a long time and have been frustrated with not finding one. It quickly moved on, as did the LTTs, but it did a lovely Hummingbird impression/hover for about 3 seconds which was great to watch.

Final count for the day was 16 species, and my overall list for Nonsuch is now 35 species. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

29/01/2022

It's been a while since I've been able to get to Nonsuch, but today was my first visit of the new year, and it did not disappoint! I...